In 2016, Vivian Melde, Nava Sarracino and Christel Veraart joined forces to present The Child Behind the Eyes, by Israeli playwright Nava Semel. This monodrama tells the story of a mother of a Down’s syndrome child on the night before he goes to school.
Originally written in Hebrew, the play was translated in 10 languages and performed worldwide. This production was directed by Vivian Melde, with original music composed by Christel Veraart.
The team communicated extensively with Nava Semel in the developmentof this production. Semel wrote a Hebrew adaptation for Christel’s song composed especially for this production.
2019 Performances – Canada and Alaska
Nome, Alaska – September 27
Halifax Fringe Festival, Nova Scotia – August 29- September 8
2019 Performances – Alaska
Benefit Performance for Hope Studios
Church of Love, Anchorage
7:00 pm (doors open at 6.30)
After successful performances in 2016 in Alaska and Canada and in 2018 in The Netherlands The Child Behind the Eyes will be back in Anchorage as a Benefit Performance for Hope Studios.
2018 Performances – The Netherlands
Highlights performed in December 2018 in The Netherlands, at a Memorial Symposium celebrating the life and work of Nava Semel.
- Read more
- Press Release 2018 Memorial Symposium – The Netherlands
- Details Memorial Symposium – The Netherlands
2016 Performances Alaska & Canada
Anchorage, Seward in Alaska, and at Victoria Fringe Festival in Canada, Aug 19 – Sep 25 2016. The Anchorage performances for The Child behind the Eyes included audience discussions with the production team and the executive director of Alaska Down Syndrome Congress and Stone Soup Group.
- The Child Behind the Eyes – Persistence of Art – Indra Arriaga – The Anchorage Press
- Nava Semel – From Alaska with Love – Indra Arriaga – The Anchorage Press
- A Letter from the Audience – Julia Cossman
- Fox 4 TV – Out North Theater – Ron Holmstrom
- Alaska Public Radio – Stage Talk – Steve Hunt
- Dispatches from the Victoria Fringe 2016 – Janice La Couvee
- The Child at Halifax Fringe Festival
- The Child Behind the Eyes Continues
- Lullaby for the Child behind the Eyes
- Travel Grants for Victoria Fringe Festival
- The Child Behind the Eyes in Production
- RKP Productions Present
- Stage Talk on Alaska Public Radio
- Fox 4 TV covers “The Phone” and “The Child Behind the Eyes”
- A Letter From the Audience
- Puppets Soup and Theater
- RIP Nava Semel
- Honoring Nava Semel 1954-2016
- Performance Photos
- Mise en Scène 1 – The Child Behind the Eyes
- Mise en Scène 2 – The Child Behind the Eyes
- Opening Night – Vivian Melde
- Full House at Opening Night – Out North
- Interview Alaska Public Radio – Christel Veraart/Vivian Melde
- In Performance – Nava Sarracino 1
- In Performance – Nava Sarracino 2
- In Performance – Nava Sarracino 3
- In Performance – Nava Sarracino 4
- In Performance – Nava Sarracino 5